One light, a whole string

The best explanation I have found so far of genetic mutations and specifically BRCA was posted by a fellow social media activist at Brave Bosom.

Andrea was one of the first bloggers and Twitter aficionados I followed and I highly recommend tagging along for her insights.

So while I was pondering things the other night after packing up Christmas, I found myself staring at our prelit tree, which at the time I had the thought, 'Well, that's pretty pathetic looking." (I may have even said those words to my husband...)

See, the downfall of a prelit is when one light goes out, you get patches that stop working. And it's not worth adding more lights when the whole point if it is not to do that work.

But the more I stared at it and thought about Andrea's explanation of my genes, I saw myself in a defunct tree.

I have an insertion, so I have extra gene pieces that then confuse the rest of the sequence. Just like that missing light. It screws with the rest of the line, leaving patches of dark amidst the twinkle.

And you know it's going to happen sooner or later. No prelit lasts forever, no matter how excited you are as a couple when you buy it. Or if your 2 year old picks it out. Or how many beautiful, tacky, or colorful ornaments full of memories you hang on its branches.

So it's time to replace our prelit Christmas tree. And soon enough, my own defunct trimmings.

 

Comments

  1. Brilliant analogy!

    And thanks for the kind words on the blog! Teri Smieja was a guest blogger for that particular post. (Here it is: http://www.bravebosom.com/brca-mutations-made-simple/).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment