Thank you, Angelina

I woke up this morning to the new that Angelina Jolie is BRCA1 and underwent her double mastectomy recently.

She wrote about it in an O&P-Ed piece for the NY Times.

It's always interesting to read the experiences of others. I follow women on Instagram and am slowly hearing stories if friends of friends. It makes it easier to know there are other people out there, to hear how they handled it, to investigate new procedures.

I'm glad Angelina is telling her story. I hope it encourages others to look into their own risks and options. I know she is the first person I've hear if using the nipple delay procedure and I will be looking into it further when it comes time for me to undergo my own surgeries.

I never thought Angekina Jolie would be on my short list of celebrities to keep tabs on,someone to look up to, but her piece expresses a lot of what it means to be BRCA1 carrier and especially one with children.

"It is reassuring that they see nothing that makes them uncomfortable. They can see my small scars and that’s it. Everything else is just Mommy, the same as she always was. And they know that I love them and will do anything to be with them as long as I can. On a personal note, I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.

So, thanks, Angelina.

(Pat's response: "Who knew you were related to Angelina Jolie?" You can see the resemblance, right?)

 

Comments